photo photo photo photo photo

About us

The history of St Georges begins in 1861 with the sale of Bickley Park to George Wythes and the development of the former parkland. The parish for this development was created out of the old Parish of Bromley. St Georges was opened for worship in 1864 with Edward John Selwyn as the first vicar. The Victorian Gothic style of the church remains substantially the same from that time. The original spire was shortened in 1906 to the current height of 175ft and is a fine local landmark. The building suffered frequently in the Second World War, losing much of its glass and the roof. And in 1989 there was a fire which destroyed much of the interior.

Today, the building is in sound condition and has a light and airy interior. There is easy access for wheelchairs and other disabled users, a disabled lavatory and an induction loop system for the hearing-impaired. Baby changing facilities are also available.